The “Emilio Ferrari” Museum of Farming Culture at San Donato in Poggio
The museum exhibits come from the donation by Engineer Emilio Ferrari (1915-1990). Originally from Liguria, he moved to San Donato in Poggio (Tavarnelle Val di Pesa) in the 1970’s; interested in all the various aspects of Tuscan farming traditions, he began to collect objects and utensils linked to the ancient crafts in the Chianti area.
The first section of the museum is dedicated to the carpenter, the cobbler and the blacksmith. Each trade is illustrated with a display of the various tools required for carrying it out: the carpenter has his indispensable wooden bench with a series of planes and chisels, as well as other typical tools of his trade (clamps and callipers); the panel on the cobbler includes a sewing machine for skins and leather, some iron lasts used for giving form to shoes, as well as some old examples of farmers’ shoes and clogs, often altered and readapted according to need, while the blacksmith’s panel offers a wide selection of tongs and other tools.
The second section of the museum is instead dedicated to the work of the farmer, the figure around whom all country life evolves: the first panel displays a selection of tools linked to work in the fields (pruning hooks, hammers and sickles for cutting the hay), and is followed by a panel with the equipment used for working with animals (bits, yokes, shearing scissors, horse-brushes), together with a gig, displaying two saddles, a pack-saddle and harnesses; a special panel describes the production and conservation of oil and wine and the equipment used in the various stages of their preparation. The museum route ends with a panel dedicated ideally to the farmhouse with a series of objects linked to everyday life (pressing irons, utensils for weaving and preparing hemp and for cooking and preparing food).